Thursday, May 28, 2015

Art Three Final Exam

PART ONE




I create Original Art
I did this painting right after I finished my big line painting. I was really in the painting mood but had no idea where to take it. Mr. Sands had made me a blank white canvas and I wanted to do something really cool with it. So I decided to experiment once again. I used wall compound mixed with paint to finger paint splotches of bright colors on to the canvas. I had no idea how it would turn out, or if it would even stick. It actually came out really cool, everyone asks how I got so much texture with the paint, and the answer is... wall compound. I had made a pinterest board prior to the start of this painting and saw a painting that was definitely my inspiration for this piece. Usually I'll see something online or even around the room that sparks an idea, then I just jump right in and see where that takes me.

I developed my art making skills
I did learn different skills making this piece. Wall compound is a little strange at first. There was no one telling me how to use it because no one had. I started out using a paintbrush but that just wasn't ideal, I ended up just using my hand to apply the compound and mix the paint. By this time I was pretty familiar with paint and this mixed medium just furthered my exposure. After this painting I was able to use the skills I learned and apply them to my following pieces.








We Collaborate
For this piece I made buildings using charcoal. I was inspired from a previous sketch I had done and really liked how the buildings turned out. When I finished them I couldn't quit tell if I was done yet. I talked to a few other students and the advice I kept getting was to add a sky of some sort. My whole table and Mr. Sands came up with two options, one of a sun setting and one abstract colorful option. Both were using chalk pastels. I liked both I really did but I had to choose the abstract option because it was more me. My tablemates did help me understand there perspective and why they thought I should add a sky, it was a really good call. 

 I take Risks
This project along with many this semester was out of my comfort zone. First off I had never used charcoal as a medium on this big of a scale. Along with an already very abstract medium I involved a very exact perspective element. Every part of me wanted to make it blurry and shaded, more abstract but I forced myself to keep those strong lines that I think in the end... gave it character. I wasn't sure I wanted to make a sky. I was comfortable where I was and didn't want to "mess is up". I took a risk and just went to town with my chalk pastels and it turned out really interesting!

PART TWO



This is the piece that I would do over, and honestly I might actually do it over. Not for the reason you might suspect. I actually love the way this piece turned out. Its totally my style, super abstract and very inspired. The one thing I regret about this project is making it so small. It would have been sweet to have this on a huge scale. I can definitely see myself doing it over in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment